Skip to main content

"Representation" in local advertisement etc.

One quite clear way to see how "woke" a corporation, or advertisement company probably is, is to see how many minority groups are present in their visual material aimed at a local audience (eg. advertisements targeting that one country). The smaller the minority in the country it is, the clearer it becomes. For example if 99% of the country is caucasian, and the company, which may well be a local company (ie, not a foreign company advertising in that country from the outside), regularly puts non-local people in their ads, the clearer it becomes that the company (or their advertisers) is "woke".

This has several aims and agendas behind it, but the main reasoning they use is that of "representation". You see, the far left has come up with this idea that people feel "marginalized" and "oppressed" if there aren't people who look like them in media, advertisement, games, etc.

To me, that sounds like a completely false argument and claim. If I were to move to a completely different country, let's say Japan, or Kenya, it wouldn't even cross my mind to be somehow bothered if everybody in the media, such as ads, are Japanese or Kenyans respectively. It would feel completely normal to me, and I would certainly not think like "nobody in these pictures and videos look like me, I feel so marginalized and oppressed". Even the very thought of "nobody in these look like me" would not cross my mind. I'm not just saying this for the sake of saying it, I can swear that I'm being 100% honest here.

Actually, it would be quite the opposite. If I were to see a lot of white people in Japanese or Kenyan ads and other media, I would find that a bit strange and unusual. I would start wondering why are there so many foreign-looking people in all these ads. What's going on? I would not expect a significant amount of white people to appear in Japanese or Kenyan media, especially advertisements. Maybe a few, but only extremely occasionally. The more they would appear, the stranger it would feel to me.

Do you know who would be bothered if people in visual media, such as advertisement, don't look like them? Racists. That's who. Only racists look at the skin color of people who are widely represented in these media, and get bothered if they are of the "wrong" shade.

But that's exactly what the far left is pushing: For people, especially non-white people, to become racists. To look around them and become bothered and whiny if they don't see people that look like them.

This is not just me interpreting, paraphrasing or reading between the lines. This is one of the key points of social justice ideology. There was some years ago (well, I suppose it still exists) a didactic game that taught "social justice" from the perspective of a "minority". It was set in a university, and the playable character was a black student. The player would explore the university and talk with people and examine things, and every place was littered with social justice teaching points.

One particular of these was quite telling: You examine a wall that has pictures of the university staff, all of them white people, and the speech bubble for the playable character would say "none of these people look like me". Not even kidding. None of these people look like me...

Seriously, only a racist would say something like that. This is something that the social justice ideology is teaching people to think like.

Comments