Skip to main content

How Much of a Feminist Are You?

There's yet again a feminist article at buzzfeed making the rounds, called "How Much of a Feminist Are You?" with 50 claims that allegedly help answering that question. I'm not interested in any kind of score or results, but I'll respond to the claims verbally here, just for the fun of it.

1: I would be willing to give up some of my salary if I had to, so that equal pay in my workplace could be a reality.

Absolutely not. Every person ought to be paid based on merit, not based on their genitals.

2: I believe that men and women should be equal.

Equal in what? This question is too non-specific to answer.
  
3: I can’t help but be bothered when a song includes misogynistic lyrics, even when I otherwise like the song.

Knowing the broad feminist definition of "misogynist", I have to answer in the negative.
 
4: I know who Bell Hooks is.

Never heard.

5: I can define intersectional feminism.

I have seen enough anti-feminist videos to know what the regressive left means with that term. Unfortunately.
  
6: I don’t use the phrase “hey guys” when referring to a group of people that includes men and women. 

I don't live in an English speaking environment, so that's technically right.
 
7: I have taken a women’s and/or gender studies class. 

No, and I would shoot myself before I would do that.  

8: I think it’s important to encourage girls to pursue science and math as a career.

Replace "girls" with "people" and I'll agree.  

9: Women should be allowed to apply for a job if they fulfill 60% of the job requirements. 

What? I don't understand the question. It's too non-specific, and makes little sense.

Replace "women" with "people" and explain what you mean, and we might have a conversation.

10: I think we should change women’s bathroom symbols to not include traditionally “feminine” clothing (skirts, dresses, etc). 

Why should I care? It's a symbol. If you get offended by a symbol you are a retard.

11: I believe trans people should be able to use whichever bathroom they identify with. 

I don't care what bathroom you want to use. Knock yourself out.

12: I believe it’s important to encourage women to negotiate. 

To negotiate what? And, again, substitute "women" with "people" and we might have a conversation.  
13: I believe Jennifer Lawrence should earn as much as her male costars.

Who is Jennifer Lawrence? And earnings should be based on merit, not on genitals.

14: I do not think a movie should be released unless it passes the Bechdel test.

It's a complete bullshit test and I absolutely disagree.

15: I believe all genders are entitled to the same social and political rights.

I believe all people are entitled to the same rights.

16: I can explain why “78 cents to the dollar” is not a fully accurate description of the gender wage gap.

Yes. There is no such gap.

17: I believe that women who possess certain types of privilege are responsible for advocating for women who don’t have their level of privilege.

What? I don't understand the question. Be more specific.

And, once again, substitute "women" with "people" and see if it makes more sense. And no, people aren't responsible for such things.

18: If I had a daughter, I would encourage her to be anything she wanted to be.

That requires encouragement?

19: I would make it clear to my daughter from an early age that her identity should never be defined by her relationship status.

I don't understand the question.

20: I believe it’s important to compliment a woman’s intelligence over her looks.

Again, not "woman", but "person". And if someone complimented my intelligence, I would suspect they were making fun of me. Compliment people for their actions, if the situation warrants it.

21: I believe that a woman has the right to choose what happens to her body.

Too vague to be answered.

22: In an instance of sexual assault against a female, I am inclined to believe the assaulted person is telling the truth until proven otherwise.

I am inclined to support our fundamental judiciary principle that accused people should be considered innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I am not going to reverse that principle with certain types of crimes.

23: I can explain Marlene Dietrich’s influence on women’s fashion. 

Never heard.

24: I know what a “Bad Feminist” is.

Yes. Basically every single third-wave feminist. Some second-wave feminists are ok (such as Christina Hoff Sommers).

25: I believe that women should be able to dress however they want without it dictating how they are treated by society. 

Substitute "women" with "people" and we may have an interesting sociopolitical discussion. In principle people should be able to wear whatever they want, but some cases may require special consideration due to practical reasons.

26: I have never said that a woman “asked for it.” 

That's correct.

27 I am offended by catcalling.

Knowing what feminists mean by "catcalling", I cannot give an all-encompassing answer. It depends on the situation.

28: I don’t think women should get VIP treatment at nightclubs and bars, just for being women.

I don't care if they get VIP treatment in such private establishments.

29: I think police brutality and its correlation with race is a feminist issue.

No, it's not.

30: I think we should stop promoting models as the ideal female body type.

Depends on the model. In general, I disagree. The "ideal female body type" requires you to watch your weight, exercise, eat healthily, and take care of your skin. If done right, I fail to see the problem.  
31 I think we should stop photoshopping women’s bodies in the media.

Depends on the amount of photoshopping.

32: I have never called a woman bossy.

I don't live in an English-speaking country, so that would be technically correct.

33: I think companies should offer more child-friendly time and programs to women who are having children.

So, special treatment? It depends on what kind of "time and programs" you mean.

34: I believe that a woman should be offered the same opportunities for promotion as her male co-workers.

I think people should be offered the same opportunities, based on merit.

35: I believe that if a woman wants to pay on a date, her date should let her. 

That's up to them. I'm not in the business of dictating how couples should live their lives.

36: I believe that women should have easy access to birth control. 

I don't know enough about the medical and health aspects of birth control to give an answer.

37: I believe that in a relationship the domestic duties should be shared.

That's up to them. I'm not in the business of dictating how couples should live their lives.

38: I think that a couple should have equal responsibility over the aesthetic and cleanliness of their home. 

That's up to them. I'm not in the business of dictating how couples should live their lives.

39: I believe that men should be encouraged to be involved and make choices in the wedding planning process. 

That's up to them. I'm not in the business of dictating how couples should live their lives.

40: I believe that men and women have the same emotional strength.

Biology might disagree with this.

41: I do not think that it is the responsibility of a man to protect a woman physically.

If a friend or family member is in danger, I will try to protect them to the best of my abilities, and I think that should be true for everybody.

42: I believe that men and women should be equally encouraged to express their emotions. 

No, that's up to every individual's choices and innate personality. It's not other people's business. Most especially it's none of your business.

43: I have never asked a woman why she does not have children. 

Correct.

44: I would be equally excited to have a son or a daughter.

Correct. Although I don't understand what this has to do with feminism.

45: I think American workplace culture is often not structured in a way that is helpful or encouraging to women succeeding.

I don't know enough about the American workplace culture to give an answer.

46: I think women have a responsibility to help and encourage other women to pursue their goals. 

People don't have such responsibilities. So no. (Of course if they want to encourage other people, great! But it's not a responsibility.)

47: I think women are equally capable to men to be the President of the United States.

Yes. But presidency is up to the voters. The best candidate should become president.

48: I believe that women have no responsibility to make a conscious effort to always be friendly and polite.

I think people should at least try to be friendly and polite by default, unless there's a good reason not to be. Just some basic manners.

49: I have never criticized a woman for not wearing makeup or wearing too much makeup.

Correct. I don't care.

50: I believe a woman is a woman if that is what she calls herself, regardless of her physical attributes and makeup.

If you want to call yourself a woman even if you are not, then call yourself a woman. Don't expect me to do the same, if you clearly are not. 

Comments