Skip to main content

No, Disney did not plagiarize Kimba The White Lion

In August of last year I made a blog post about how Disney had plagiarized the Japanese cartoon series Kimba The White Lion with their movie The Lion King.

Well, it turns out that pretty much everything I wrote there is bullshit.

I pride myself for not easily falling for conspiracy theories, but sometimes I get a taste of humility by, once again, falling for a conspiracy theory. To my shame, I have to admit that I swallowed this one hook, line and sinker.

I added a big notice at the beginning of that page stating as much and linking to this post.

Like always with such conspiracy theories, it's nothing but carefully cherry-picked tidbits, distortions and misinformation collected into a narrative that sound plausible when isolated from the wider context and all the vast amount of information that contradicts it.

This youtube video is 2 hours and 20 minutes long, but I think it's worth watching. It analyses in detail the conspiracy theory and all the claims, and sheds light on what the conspiracy theory is not telling us.

Well, I stand corrected. I was misled. Disney did not commit plagiarism with The Lion King.

Comments