Skip to main content

Do black people pronounce "ask" as "axe"?

I once saw a video named something like "10 things black people should stop doing". It was made by a black woman, and it was entirely light-hearted (not like political or anything).

One of the points she made was that black people (I presume mostly in America) always pronounce the word "ask" as "ax" (or "axe", however you want to write that pronunciation), and they really need to stop doing that.

I had never paid attention to this, but after seeing that video I have started doing so, when watching YouTube videos. It doesn't happen quite often, especially with just random people on the street (rather than eg. TV show hosts or actors), since it's not such a common word to use in these situations, but from the three times so far I have stumbled across it, in every one of the three cases they did indeed pronounce it "axe", clearly and unambiguously.

Quite an inconsequential thing, but curious. I wonder why that is.


Update (23.8.2018): Since writing this blog post I have now counted four new instances of seeing a YouTube video of a (non-celebrity, non-public personality) black person using the word "ask". So far 100% of them have pronounced it "axe".

Comments