Skip to main content

Why do sovereign citizens always ask "are we on record" in court?

The American "sovereign citizen" ideology is a huge and absolutely insane conspiracy theory which I go into more detail here.

A big part of the ideology is their constant use of particular terms and expressions that only they, and people who have researched their ideology, understand.

(Quite ironically, no lawmaker, judge, law scholar, law professor, lawyer, law enforcement officer, or any other such person understands that vocabulary either, unless that person has experience with the conspiracy theory itself, even though the sovcits believe they do, secretly behind the scenes.)

In fact, you can easily recognize whether someone subscribes to the conspiracy theory or not with how they speak during traffic stops.

I have discussed before the reasons why they so often demand a supervisor (particularly during traffic stops), and why they so often use expressions like "I'm a living man", and why they usually have such a huge problem with stating that they "understand" something during a court proceeding.

Another thing I have noticed while watching all those funny court camera videos is that the vast, vast majority of them, during a court proceeding, will ask something like "are we on the record?" or "is this a court of record?", and will often start most sentences with "may the record show" and "on the record" (sometimes even both of those at the same time!)

It's quite notable that only sovcits do this. I have never heard a single lawyer mention the "record" at any point in any court cam videos I have seen, nor have I even seen any non-sovcit person representing himself mention it. Only sovcits make those remarks, and it seems extremely common among them (I would estimate that at least 80-90 % of them use those expressions during court proceedings.)

It's quite clear that they are instructed to do so by all the sovcit tutorials that they are following.

Note that every court proceeding in the United States is always recorded in one way or another, ie. every single court proceeding is always "on the record", by law. There are no "off the record" court proceedings, ever. It's automatic. (Judges can sometimes do things or discuss things "off the record", but usually not during court proceedings. Judges can sometimes also strike stuff from the record during a court proceeding, but that's not the same thing as doing something "off the record.") In other words, always asking "is this on the record", or "is this a court of record",  is completely superfluous, because the answer is always "yes", by law. Also prefacing everything with "on the record" is likewise superfluous. All court proceedings must always be recorded in one way or another, by law.

So why do sovcits nevertheless always ask those questions and so often start their statements with "on the record", or "may the record show that", etc. even though that's completely superfluous?

The thing is: I have no idea!

For most of the stuff they say I at least know why they say it, what their conspiracy theory is about it, what their reasoning is (even if that reasoning is completely asinine and made up). However, in this case, I have no idea. I have never seen any of them explain it, nor any commentator or youtube channel author who laughs at sovcit antics explain it. I must confess I'm completely clueless about this one.

Comments