I recently saw a YouTube video that was a sort of interview of a player who had started playing Star Citizen and had spent a whopping 11 thousand dollars on that game in one year.
Not even going into the quality and state of the game, even if it were the best and most polished game in existence, spending 11 thousand dollars on it is just completely insane.
I am quite an avid gamer myself, and have been buying video games for over 30 years now. I did a rough estimate of how many games I have ever purchased and how much money I have spent in total on them during these 30 years, and it's in fact somewhere on that same ballpark, actually. Maybe a bit more. Say, very roughly somewhere around 12 thousand dollars in total, ie. about 400 dollars a year.
I think about 400 dollars a year in video games is quite moderate. I very, very rarely buy full-priced 60+ dollar games, and almost always wait for a significant discount. During those 30 years I have, perhaps, bought about 20 or so games at a full 60+ dollar price. I estimate the average buying price for a game I have purchased to be about 15 to 20 dollars, give or take. Rarely do I go over 40.
The most I have ever spent on a single game is about 150 dollars, over the span of about 4 years. The game in question would be Elite Dangerous. I think that's a quite moderate amount over that period of time, considering the amount of content it provides.
However, that game is the only exception. Otherwise I have purchased DLC or in-game content probably less than 10 times during the entire 30 years.
Spending 11 thousand dollars in one single game, no matter what the timespan, is itself completely asinine. Spending it in one single year is absolutely bonkers. I genuinely do not understand this at all.
I am 100% serious when I say that even if I were a multi-billionaire and had a thousand times more money than I could ever spend, and 11k dollars was literally pocket money, I would still not spend it in one single game. No way. Even as a billionaire I would consider it an insane waste.
The fact that I'm not exactly a billionaire makes it even more so, rather obviously.
I simply cannot understand the psychology of some people. They are insane.
Comments
Post a Comment