Skip to main content

A 60-hour work week is absolute insanity

There has been quite a lot of talk in recent years about workers' rights and things like work hours in the United States. (Most of this discussion has been almost invisible because it has been buried by everything else that has been happening in American politics.)

One thing that appears to be quite common in the United States, it seems, is that many people work 60 hours a week.

I honestly cannot understand how that's even possible. A normal work week, which is 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, is 40 hours. Even if you worked 6 days a week, that would still be just 48 hours.

A 60 hour week would mean that you work 10 hours every day, 6 days a week.

This sound to me like absolute insanity. I would literally die if I had to work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I'm not using that word as hyperbole or exaggeration. I think I would literally die, as in actual physical death, if I had to work that much. Or, at a very minimum, I would end up hospitalized. I'm completely serious here.

8 hours a day, 5 days a week, is stressful enough. (When the doctor literally suspects you have coronary heart disease because of your symptoms, but it turns out that you actually are healthy and the symptoms are caused by stress, you know that your work is stressful.) I cannot even imagine working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I am absolutely convinced that I would end up in the hospital sooner or later, if not dead.

It just sounds like complete insanity. Yet, apparently 60-hour weeks are common and normal in the United States. I think that country is absolutely bonkers.

Comments