Skip to main content

Idiotic account linking policy in Epic Games store

Epic Games has been building up an online digital market for video games as a direct competition to Valve's Steam platform. For some strange reason many people have received this announcement with negativity. I think this is a positive thing. Healthy competition is good for the end consumer. It keeps the companies in check, and makes them compete for the benefit of the consumer (eg. by lowering prices and offering better deals).

A week or two ago I created an Epic Games account for the first time, because why not. It costs nothing, you get a free game twice a month, and there could be genuinely good offers at that store. There's nothing to lose. I don't have anything to complain here.

However, there's a technical design decision, or policy, whichever might it be, related to linking your Epic Games account to other accounts, that's rather idiotic.

After I created the account, I tried to link it to my PlayStation Network (PSN) account. However, when I tried that, the Epic Games website just gave me the error "Your PSN account has already been associated with another Epic Games account."

This was quite strange since I was pretty sure I had never created an Epic Games account before.

After a quick googling, and ending up at an Epic Games FAQ page, it turns out that this happens if you have ever played an Epic Games game on the PlayStation, and didn't create an Epic Games account when you started it. (In my case it was probably the game Bulletstorm, which was given for free on PSN on November of 2018.) According to the FAQ, what happens here is that if you skip creating an Epic Games account, what the game does is that it creates a "nameless" account instead, where it uploads the save data of the game. Your PSN account becomes linked to this "nameless" account.

No big deal, right? Just undo that link, perhaps removing that nameless account, and link it to your new Epic Games account?

Well, apparently not. For some reason that I don't fully understand, either Epic Games themselves, or someone/something along the line has the policy that once your PSN account has been linked to one Epic Games account, even if it's a "nameless" one, it cannot be undone and re-linked to some other account.

You can convert that "nameless" account into an actual one by completing all the information needed for it, but it has to be a completely new account, with an unused email address. But this will be a second separate independent account. If I do this, I would now have two separate Epic Games accounts, requiring two different email addresses. There is no way for me to link my PSN account to my newly-created Epic Games account, because of that one "mistake" that I didn't even know was the case.

I see no reason to have two Epic Games accounts, so I suppose I'm not linking to PSN then. Such an idiotic restriction, really. I can't understand why they can't simply implement a way of merging a "nameless" account to an existing Epic Games account. What would be the problem?

Comments

  1. i read one of your posts about trans individuals in women category sports. Did you read news caster semenya?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment