Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Completely stupid comments against vaccines

This is one of the stupidest comments against vaccines that I have ever seen: "I have never been vaccinated, and I'm completely healthy."

The sheer stupidity of this idea is worth a facepalm.

Firstly, and needless to say, a sample size of one is not sufficient to draw any conclusions.

Secondly, there's this thing called "herd immunity", which means that an unvaccinated person has little chance of contracting a disease when everybody else in their community is vaccinated, for the obvious reason that if nobody is a disease carrier, they can't get it from anybody. Thus the fact that an unvaccinated person has never contracted the disease only means that the vast majority of the other people are vaccinated, not that vaccines are useless.

And even then, most diseases don't exhibit a 100% infection rate. In other words, even very virulent diseases don't necessarily contract every single person.

If among some community 95% of people have contracted a disease, it would be rather stupid for one of the remaining 5% to come out and say "I am completely healthy; thus this disease is just bollocks."

Obviously herd immunity cannot be trusted. If you are not vaccinated, you are still at risk of contracting the disease from somewhere. And if more and more people become unvaccinated in your community, your risk grows that much higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment