Skip to main content

The Omen 4 - The Awakening

I recently watched the so-called "The Omen Pentology", which is a DVD set that consists of the original The Omen trilogy, the made-for-TV sequel "The Awakening" and the 2006 remake of the first movie. I'll like to talk about the fourth movie in particular.

The fourth movie was just predestined to be universally panned by critics and hated by fans. There's no way it could have been otherwise.

Just consider: The original trilogy is a full story arc, and its third part just ended the story, period. The fourth movie is a pure sequel to the third movie, it artificially and forcefully tries to continue the story to cash into the modest success of the trilogy, it's more or less a rehash of the first movie with nothing really new or innovative, and to top it all, it's a low-budget made-for-TV movie. This is just like a perfect storm for the movie to be universally hated, no matter what it actually contains. It's just physically impossible for a movie to be liked in this setting. Why the producers thought otherwise, I have no idea.

Yet... I liked it. I don't know why, but I liked it.

I certainly liked it more than the second and third movies. Those were really long, with lots of padding and little happening. They were not outright boring, but nothing exciting either... They were rather meh. (The first movie was quite long and had a lot of padding too, but at least it was interesting because of its setting.)

Even at the risk of committing cinematographic blasphemy (pun intended), I'd say that the fourth movie was at least as interesting and enjoyable as the first one. I really think that this is actually one of those movies which is derided more based on prejudice and too strict expectations than anything else. Granted, it's not one of the best movies of all times and it has its problems, but I found it enjoyable on its own right.

If you like this kind of movie genre, I'd definitely recommend checking it out with an open mind and without prejudice.

Comments