Skip to main content

I don't understand "anti-frauditor" YouTube channels, addendum

Continuing my previous blog post about "anti-frauditor" YouTube channels, where I express how I really can't understand why these people oppose so strongly what even the nicest and most professionally-behaving First Amendment auditors are doing (to the point that they outright cheer and celebrate when the auditor gets arrested, regardless of whether the arrest is lawful or not).

As mentioned there, the largest of those channels have usually hundreds and hundreds (even thousands) of comments from people fully agreeing with the channel author, mocking and deriding the auditors and openly and loudly celebrating when the police arrests them.

Do you know what's one particular type of commenter that baffles me the most?

The citizen of another country writing things like "these things don't happen in my country", and "in my country the police would just arrest the guy and throw him in jail", etc. Always in the context of it somehow being a good thing, as it being something that's better in that person's country than it is in the United States.

That's right, they are boasting that in their country the police has more powers and people have less rights and freedoms. They are boasting how in their country people can be arrested more easily for things that are completely legal in the United States, such as filming in the public areas of a government building, or refusing to show ID unless the police can actually articulate a crime that they suspect the auditor having committed.

Why do they celebrate their country being more of a police state, and people having less rights and freedoms, than in the United States? I genuinely do not understand.

And this is coming from someone who lives in such a country. My country is a so-called "stop-and-ID" country, where if the police demands your ID, no matter what the reason (or even no reason whatsoever), you have to legally provide it, and where if the police demands you to eg. leave some place, even if it's a completely public place and you have the right to be there, you have to legally obey. Refusal to do either one could result in a fine. In fact, there are many things in my country that you can't say without legal punishment, things that are completely legal to say in the United States.

And, as you might have guessed, I'm not happy about that. I certainly don't boast around how my country is better in this regard than the United States. How some people do, it baffles my mind.

Comments