Skip to main content

I can't understand why people hate furries so much

When I was something like 5 or 6, my family was visiting my grandmother. My sister (who was an early teenager back then) tried to make a prank on me. She told me that she had hidden something, and gave me hints on how to find it (a bit like your stereotypical "colder, colder, warmer, warmer" thing). In the end, I found what it was: My grandmother's dentures in a glass of water, where my grandmother had put them.

My sister acted like I should be really grossed out. I wasn't grossed out. I was puzzled. I didn't really understand why I should be grossed out. Ok, my granma's fake teeth in a glass of water. So what? What's supposed to be so special about it?

I suppose now I kinda understand why I could have perhaps been grossed out. I'm still not grossed out by dentures. Why should I be? What's so gross about them, even if they are somebody else's? I suppose I kind of understand why somebody else could be grossed out, but I just am not.

I have the same kind of feeling of puzzlement about the almost universal hatred of furries that seems to be so prevalent. Why do people hate furries with such a passion? I don't get it.

I'm not a furry myself, nor do I know anybody who is (not even online, that I know of), nor would I really like to try it (I'm not very into costumes or cosplaying of any sort). In fact, I'm perhaps a tiny bit coulrophobic in that if I see in real life somebody wearing some kind of such costume, like some kind of mascot or whatever, I feel a bit of unease, which I can't help. (This instinct could probably be quite easily and quickly remedied with more exposure, but it's not like this kind of exposure is readily available here.)

But anyway, I don't really understand why I should laugh at, mock, ridicule, deride, hate or verbally attack people who are furries and decide to dress like that. I just get the same feeling as with my granma's dentures: Yeah, these people dress in some animal costumes. So what? Let them. Why should I care? People are free to dress however they like, it's none of my business.

Do a portion of these furries like to engage in some kind of kinky sex play behind closed doors with each other? Probably. But again: So what? It's their business. Why should I care? It's not like they are hurting anybody. They aren't hurting me, so why should I care what they do?

I have actually grown to dislike the people who hate and vilify furries quite significantly more than the furries themselves. Ironically, the more people vilify furries, the more sympathetic I become towards them. Why should they deserve such hatred? It's not like they are hurting anybody, or demanding anything. Leave them be. Live and let live. Whatever floats their boat. As long as they keep to themselves and don't bother nor hurt anybody, it's completely fine by me.

Comments